let's talk

~Wednesday 3rd of March 2021~

Welcome to UkuWorld!

Viva La Ukulele

UkuWorld is the center for all your ukulele needs! Tune your ukulele with our advanced UkuTuner. Practice chords with UkuChords and step up your game by learning ukulele scales at UkuScales. Don't know where start? Go over to UkuGuides and read some of the comprehensive guides or just go over the quick tips. In the end, above all, enjoy playing your favorite songs on your ukulele with UkuTabs where you can find a huge amount of songs available at your fingertips.

The place to be for all your ukulele needs Forums Ukulele Q&A Has anyone else "electrified" their Uke? Reply To: Has anyone else "electrified" their Uke?

Jonas

Moved to “Ukulele Q&A” 😉

Hmm, it is indeed difficult to ‘electrify’ your ukulele. Easiest option is to buy an acoustic-electric one from the bat of course 🙂 But I myself have not done so.

Before I’ve learned to play the ukulele, I’ve played the guitar (still do). And I always bought an acoustic version, even if an acoustic-electric one was available. This is because a befriended luthier told me that the internal electrical components interfere with the sound waves with the guitar its body having a negative on the output of the sound. If amplification was necessary he would always suggest a (passive) sound hole pickup which you can simply install in the soundhole when required and remove afterwards. This advice was given to me several years ago (around 2007) and till today I still keep it in mind. I have used many soundhole pickups and found that generally you get a lot of bang for your buck. There are some very inexpensive models which do the job perfectly. I must confess that I currently own a Taylor guitar with an extremely decent ‘expression system’ to amplify the sound.

TL;DR I’d suggest a soundhole pickup, like for example this one (which also looks the part): https://www.musicianswebstore.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SH330&cat=1590

Hopefully this helped you a little bit 🙂