~Friday 14th of December 2018~

Welcome to UkuWorld!

Viva La Ukulele

UkuWorld is the center for all your ukulele needs! Tune your ukulele with our advanced UkuTuner. Practice those difficult chords with UkuChords and step up your game by learning some ukulele scales with UkuScales. Don't know where start? Go over to UkuGuides and read some of the comprehensive guides are just go over the quick tips. In the end, above all, enjoy playing your favorite songs on your ukulele and what better way to do that than with UkuTabs where you can find a huge amount of songs available at your fingertips.

UkuWorld Community is here to offer you the ability to share your experiences with fellow ukulele enthusiasts and discuss. This in a friendly and respectful environment without too many bells and whistles. Login or register and come and join the fun!

• Author
    Calypso_Poet

Playing in a “Trop Rock” band bringing the Uke in seemed a logical choice, but there are lots of choices from the simple (and very budget conscious) stick-on transducer to the expensive, complex and invasive under-saddle models where you drill and cut holes in your instrument.

I like what I am using, though it has it’s drawbacks (Kremona UK-1).

I was curious as to what others are using. What works? What doesn’t? And Why?

Jonas

Moved to “Ukulele Q&A” 😉

Hmm, it is indeed difficult to ‘electrify’ your ukulele. Easiest option is to buy an acoustic-electric one from the bat of course 🙂 But I myself have not done so.

Before I’ve learned to play the ukulele, I’ve played the guitar (still do). And I always bought an acoustic version, even if an acoustic-electric one was available. This is because a befriended luthier told me that the internal electrical components interfere with the sound waves with the guitar its body having a negative on the output of the sound. If amplification was necessary he would always suggest a (passive) sound hole pickup which you can simply install in the soundhole when required and remove afterwards. This advice was given to me several years ago (around 2007) and till today I still keep it in mind. I have used many soundhole pickups and found that generally you get a lot of bang for your buck. There are some very inexpensive models which do the job perfectly. I must confess that I currently own a Taylor guitar with an extremely decent ‘expression system’ to amplify the sound.

TL;DR I’d suggest a soundhole pickup, like for example this one (which also looks the part): https://www.musicianswebstore.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SH330&cat=1590

Hopefully this helped you a little bit 🙂

Calypso_Poet

I will have to check that out. Shadow makes some innovative stuff and produces the system which is in my Kala U-Bass. It’s supposed to be a multi-crystal piezo with distinct and separate transducer for each string… and I really like the sound on that.

I currently am working with the Kremona UK-1.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UK1

It’s got a great sound, it’s very easy to install and is not in the way when not using it. It can pick up some “body noise” from playing, but I have managed to dial most of that out using an LR Baggs Para DI.

If I had to “complain”, the one thing I dislike is that it is a bit delicate. I have already smashed one by standing on the cord while I picked up the Uke to play. No fun when you’re in front of a room full of people..

I am in the market for another uke, so I will look at that when the time comes..

Calypso_Poet

The new Uke arrived a couple of weeks ago and I did some very serious research into what’s available.

I eventually went with the Mi-Si Acoustic Trio Uke. The cost is very reasonable, and it sounds great!

It uses an under-saddle piezo from LR Baggs in combo with a battery-less pre-amp. With the pre-amp built on the end-pin there were only two holes to drill. No need to cut a big hole in the side of the Uke to accommodate the Pre. (Although my wife was mortified that I considered drilling the Uke at all!) Uses a hi-capacity capacitor system to power it, so no batteries to change. Charges in a minute for 8-16 hours of play.

The sound is clean, loud very true to the instrument itself and I’m getting far less of the “body noise” than the UK-1

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Discover UkuWorld