~Wednesday 17th of October 2018~

Welcome to UkuWorld!

Viva La Ukulele

UkuWorld is the center for all your ukulele needs! Tune your ukulele with our advanced UkuTuner. Practice those difficult chords with UkuChords and step up your game by learning some ukulele scales with UkuScales. Don't know where start? Go over to UkuGuides and read some of the comprehensive guides are just go over the quick tips. In the end, above all, enjoy playing your favorite songs on your ukulele and what better way to do that than with UkuTabs where you can find a huge amount of songs available at your fingertips.

UkuWorld Community is here to offer you the ability to share your experiences with fellow ukulele enthusiasts and discuss. This in a friendly and respectful environment without too many bells and whistles. Login or register and come and join the fun!

• Author
    gburygymnast

Hey All! So I currently own a Flea Saprano uke (which is my first uke) but I’m thinking about getting a concert or tenor uke because the soprano can feel a little cramped. Any recommendations as to which size? I’m a relatively small person- I’m only 5’3″ if that helps? I’m looking to the Ka-CE or Ka-TE but I’m open to other suggestions!

JudeCorrales

Hi, I understand what your saying about being on the small side (im just 5’1″) and I currently own a KA-ktge-c and i love it. Its a little big but there is a concert version too ! I would also recommend a luna high tide which ive had before and i loved it to bits. If you do decide on a tenor model I recommend a strap because it is a little on the large size. I dont know if you’ve already gotten the uke or not but I hope that I helped !

ukulelebob

I bought a concert uke to start with
    Due to the size.
    I have just bought a baritone and love that as well.
    I suggest you go to your local store and
    Line up a few and have a play to see which suits you best. S

daveritchie

Mine is a Spalted Mango TU-C concert uke by Lanikai. Very good intonation all the way up the neck. I can’t say how it compares sound-wise to other wood but I think a lot can be done by experimenting with strings to achieve brighter or warmer tone. I will say Lanikai has a US support contract and their support could be much better than it is. I was looking for information about installing a pickup and endpins for a strap and they had no information or manufacturer recommendations other than finding a luthier and that any changes would void a warranty. Since Lanikai won’t do post-sale modifications this means you can’t purchase modifications without affecting the warranty. Still, I would put my investment into the instrument itself and the SMTU-C is an excellent choice, that also comes in a tenor version. I would check Musician’s Friend or Sweetwater as they seemed to have the best pricing.

celeste_okay

Here is a site that might help you too see all aspects to help you choose!
    http://thehub.musiciansfriend.com/folk-instrument-buying-guides/ukuleles-how-to-choose

I saw a really cute uke in the music shop near my house, it was a cherry sunburst les paul so ye should get that

GeeshBoyJ

Don’t judge a uke on how you think it looks, DEFINITELY DO NOT buy one online… go to a music store and find one that is comfortable to you.

GeeshBoyJ

Also, if you are 5’3″, you probably want to go with a concert uke. When I was 12 or so I had a tenor and that thing was really hard to play. A few years ago, I got a concert, and to me, it was perfect: just between the size of the tenor and the soprano.

Chris

For your size, concert should be good….and you can get waht’s called a “long neck” which has a “less cramped” fret board.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Discover UkuWorld